At a time when global health is under threat, keeping on top of your day-to-day health and safety obligations is more important than ever. Here are some of the key things you should be looking out for to ensure your sites are running safely, and how we can support you through COVID-19 and beyond.
How are you ensuring site safety and security during lockdown?
The first thing to consider is how you can continue to check on your projects safely while lockdown measures are in force, and who is going to do this. We’re providing construction site safety inspections for our clients during this period to ensure that sites are safe and secure with no opportunity for unauthorised access – and with so many changes happening right now, having this assurance is more important than ever. We offer these inspections in three different tiers, depending on your situation:
- A basic security check from the public realm; you don’t need to be there to let us in, so this is an ideal option if your site is closed.
- A welfare-specific check to ensure health, welfare and hygiene controls have been implemented in accordance with the Construction Leadership Council’s Site Operating Procedures for sites that are open and operational.
- A full construction site safety inspection for sites that are open and operational that includes health, welfare and hygiene controls.
Are you using this time for project planning?
With many projects being put on hold but consultants still working from home, this could be an ideal opportunity to invest more time in project planning. If you are planning construction projects during this period, it’s important to appoint a principal designer to ensure that health and safety issues are properly considered. We’re well-versed at delivering the principal designer role and have experience across all sectors.
Are you fulfilling your obligations under CDM 2015?
As a Client under Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015, you have an obligation to ‘take reasonable steps to ensure’ that the Principal Designer and Principal Contractor complies with their duties. Appointing a CDM Advisor is the easiest way to ensure you’re getting this right. As a SafeContractor accredited CDM Advisor, we’re able to:
- Undertake competence assessments of the design team, principal designer and principal contractor to ensure your team has appropriate skills, knowledge and experience appropriate to the size, scale and complexity of the project.
- Evaluate pre-construction information, design risk management evidence and health and safety files to evaluate their depth and quality to ensure that the principal designer is fulling their duties.
- Evaluate the construction phase plan and undertake safety inspections on construction sites throughout a project to ensure it is compliant with all required regulations and that the principal contractor is fulling their duties.
Although there will inevitably be a slow-down in project delivery, now is the time to establish who you wish to work with in the future and get all of the necessary records and documents in place ready for when things pick back up. We’re also experienced in policy writing, should you need any help producing or reviewing your health and safety policies and procedures.
Have you considered H&S CPD webinars?
With employees working remotely, now is a great time to offer training to ensure that knowledge and awareness are embedded. We’d be happy to arrange and deliver health and safety webinars for members of your team to run through the duties of the client, principal designer, principal contractor and design team to keep you fully up to date with the requirements of CDM 2015. We can also answer any questions on the services we offer, queries you might have around the impacts of COVID-19 and how you can manage contractor performance when re-engaged for site operations.
Hollis are members of the Association for Project Safety (APS) and the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), and our team of health and safety experts are on hand to deliver all of the above both nationally and internationally. Find out more about our health and safety offering and get in touch with the team here.